Moments with Dad

Father. Husband. Son. Brother. Grandpa. These were some of my dad's most important roles in life. How do you possibly put into words the sum total of a loved one's lifetime? How can it be measured?

If dad were here, he'd say I want to know everything that's happened up until this point and start from the beginning. A line from a scene in one of his favorite movies, Airplane. I've had time to reflect on dad's life and what he meant to our family. 

Perhaps the best way to remember dad is by cherishing memories of joyful moments.  So I'd like to share two of them with you, recalling time spent with him doing things he loved.

Baseball

The first story is from my earliest memories of dad and playing baseball. Dad was my first baseball coach that started with having a simple catch in the backyard. I grew up with his love of the Red Sox and to this day, still remember him waking me up to see the final inning of Game 6 in the ‘86 World Series.

I was 13 years old and so excited to see our beloved team become world champs.  But alas, it was not meant to be and I think we never spoke of that game again. Until 2004 and the greatest comeback in the history.  

Growing up, dad would take us to Muzzy Field as kids to see the Bristol Red Sox. More recently, I was fortunate to spend Father's Day with mom, dad, and my daughter at Fenway Park. Dad loved Lauren, his granddaughter, dearly and always enjoyed time with her.

Golf

The second story I’ll share involves golf, a game I love so much, thanks to my dad.  My first time going to a real golf course was Pine Valley. Dad played in a league there and wanted to take me out to ride in the cart with him. Unfortunately, the pro said I couldn't do that, so dad left me with a few clubs at the putting green and said he be back after his round.

Dad encouraged me to keep practicing and one day I could play, When that day came, we walked the back 9 of Patton Brook together with me using his hand-me-down clubs. I don't recall my score and it doesn't really matter. What's most important is the time we spent together. 

With The Masters coming up,  I'll be watching with dad on my mind, recalling our annual trips to the GHO and especially our time viewing the 1986 Masters when his favorite golfer, Jack Nicklaus, won his 6th green jacket. My very last text from my dad was in response to a picture I sent him before he passed; it said "looks like you are ready for the GHO." 

Memories

Among other memories my sister and I recall with dad were breakfasts at Patton Brook Dairy, hot dogs at Saint's, visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown; log cabin vacations in New Hampshire, going to Disney World for the first time; summers at Ocean Beach in New London and many trips to Lake Compounce.

Before closing, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention dad's service to our country as a Marine. To him, the 4 years he served and his time devoted to the Marine Corps League were among his proudest moments.  My mom and dad are grateful for the many friends they made, trips to national conventions together and local events. He loved my mom very much and I am so glad they had the opportunity to travel and enjoy their Sunday drives for so many years in retirement.


Lessons

So how do you measure a life? As the bible tell us in Corinthians, the greatest measure of all is love. Dad loved his family, made sure we always had what we needed, was an avid reader of history, enjoyed our family dogs, educated himself, was quiet, but strong, always encouraged my sister and me.

As we say goodbye, I'll remember Dad for all of the joyful moments he brought to our life. For the example he set living in service to others and his time spent volunteering to help those experiencing loss through his role on the honor squad.  Today dad, it is us who are honoring you for a life well lived.  Know you will be forever on our minds and always in our hearts. I love you and miss you. 

In Closing

As we go forward from here, my dad reminds us to love wholeheartedly, have patience, give your whole self to everything you do and take pride in your efforts. Enjoy your time with friends and family. Have faith and keep smiling.

Goodbye. God bless. I'll see you on the first tee in Heaven. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Skin is Darker than Mine

You Will Be Found

Wonder