Dare to Come Alive

Good morning.  I am Kevin Savage, a member here at South Church for the past 10 years and I’m honored to speak with you about what stewardship means to me.  When I was asked to serve as a lay witness on this Valentine’s Day, I reflected on many moments at this church, including my own wedding.

I also thought about my daughter, who was 4 years old when I became a member.  Little did I know that years later, she would stand right here and sing on my wedding day as Rev. Allen officiated the ceremony.  Today, my daughter is now in 8th grade and involved in our Youth Mission program where she is cultivating stewardship in her own way.

To me, this church is sacred ground.  It is home to a place filled with enduring love, hope and care for all people. When I came here in 2010, I did so with little expectation. I had recently moved back to Glastonbury and was seeking a church that felt comfortable, welcoming and committed to serving the local community. I remember sitting up-front where I was greeted by Bob and Marie Calvin. As I met other members, it became apparent this church was filled with people who shared a common set of values and exemplified servant leadership.

Over the years, I’ve served as a steward of our mission through work on annual pledge campaigns and my past role as a deacon to preparing meals for South Park Inn and advising our Youth Mission students. I’ve seen how the ministry of our church extends far beyond these walls..

Thinking about the past 12 months, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention how much I miss coming here on Sunday mornings. The feeling you get when opening the front doors, being welcomed with a smile, seeing how the sun fills the sanctuary with light and absorbing the positive energy of our members. And the cookies at social hour are an added bonus. :-) 

Hard to believe it was nearly 1 year ago since I was here in person. I remember that day with great clarity as it was the last time attending service with my 3 year old foster daughter.  Later that week, she reunified with her family.  For those who met her, you know she was always smiling and could be felt before being seen as she ran to hug the legs of those she recognized - as Rev. Larrissa can attest.

In closing, I’d like to share with you three lessons my foster daughter taught me and that my daughter Lauren reminds of through her words and actions.

First, see everyone as going through something. Second, give without any expectation or condition. And third, commit random acts of kindness each day. These principles define why I give - because I’ve found joy comes not from seeking to fulfill my own self-interests, but rather from lifting up those around me.

As we think about being stewards of this church, I’ll leave you with a quote from Howard Thurman, a pastor and civil rights leader, who said “Don’t ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”  

May we go forward with a commitment to serve in our own way and dare to come alive. For doing so has the power to raise others to heights far greater than we could ever imagine. 

Thank you. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Skin is Darker than Mine

You Will Be Found

Wonder